- This event has passed.
Deep Dive Breakout 1: What Would You Do? Real Life PR and Advocacy Challenges
October 29 @ 10:15 am - 11:10 am
Our panelists faced these unique challenges and lived to tell the tale. Now they will offer the same scenarios to the audience to test how YOU would handle the situation. Will your solution improve on the real outcome? Join this fun discussion and maybe share your own scenario… off the record, of course.
Speakers: Evelyn Stauffer (The Home Depot), Alisa Fox (BAYADA Home Health Care), Joe Franco (Leading Age), Matthew Zablud (Matthew Zablud)
How would you effectively reach lawmakers?
- Be concise and direct with your message.
- Include materials such as factsheets
- A story – good storyteller gets through the lawmaker
- Don’t be afraid to steal somebody else’s story.
BAYADA’s approach was to engage legislators directly with factsheets, emails, etc to illustrate our issues and asks – to share real life stories less directly (via social media and traditional/earned media. More organic, visual, visceral, and social/people-focused.
Engaging Effectively Process
- Determine the message/ask
- Gather Stories
- Create a Narrative
- Grain interest or make your own
- Earned media, social, local stories
- SImplify your issues into a headline or story
- A lot of cost-effective strategies to get your story out there
- Authenticity is enough to make an impact
- Visuals are excellent to convey a message
- Don’t lose sight of the personal message when it comes to grassroots
- You need a team that has a relationship with the legislator to have real impact with your advocates (and stories)
- Making the media is not as valuable if you don’t get it in front of the legislator
The Home Depot [OFF THE RECORD]